BullyWiiHacks
Welcome dear guest! Very Happy

To start posting and being part of the BWH community, you simply need to register an account or log into an existing one.

If you do not wish to register at all, that's fine but there will be more advertisements. :/

You can probably see and download most content provided for regular members even without an account.

Your contributions will be greatly appreciated though, give it a shot and register today! thumbsup

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BullyWiiHacks
Welcome dear guest! Very Happy

To start posting and being part of the BWH community, you simply need to register an account or log into an existing one.

If you do not wish to register at all, that's fine but there will be more advertisements. :/

You can probably see and download most content provided for regular members even without an account.

Your contributions will be greatly appreciated though, give it a shot and register today! thumbsup
BullyWiiHacks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BullyWiiHacks

Gaming, Modding & Programming

Important reminders:

- Click *HERE* for advanced forum search or check out the text field below on the front page for Google before posting
- NO support via private message (use the forum)
- Write meaningful topic titles
Site Translation
Latest topics
» Dropped Out of College to Pursue Web Dev and Life Pursuits in General
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty4/7/2024, 2:34 pm by SnB@BWH

» Bully Made It Into a BIG Video 400K Views
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty4/7/2024, 6:58 am by Bully@WiiPlaza

» Wii Play Tanks
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty3/24/2024, 2:46 pm by helpmeout

» [Bypass Paywalls] (Global) @magnolia1234 - GitLab
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty3/18/2024, 3:55 am by Seth@WiiPlaza

» [Download] Mary Shelley's Frankenhole
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty3/16/2024, 8:29 am by Seth@WiiPlaza

» Completely Custom Modded Controllers (Undetectable)
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty3/5/2024, 1:55 pm by Shadow@BWH

» (Zombies) Drink perks code?
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty3/5/2024, 1:24 pm by Shadow@BWH

» Die Rückkehr zu STEAM und WARFACE
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty3/2/2024, 3:54 am by Seth@WiiPlaza

» First person hand model change?
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty2/28/2024, 4:53 am by Ad3lamac611

» {RELEASE} Field Raider Firefox v1.72 by Seth@WiiPlaza
Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 Empty2/21/2024, 8:52 am by naxil

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Country Statistics
Free counters!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SnB@BWH

SnB@BWH
Admin & Writer

It has always been a wonder why Pac-Man crashes on level 256, ever since Billy Mitchell beat Pac-Man back in '99.

The reason for this is because the NES, which runs on 6502 Assembly, was built with an 8 bit processor - the MOS 6502. It had 2 bytes of addressing; 8 bits (1 byte) for the opcode (instruction), and 8 bits for the operand (the value for the instruction). This means that each address could only carry a maximum value of 255 (FF in Hexadecimal) for the instruction. FF is the maximum value a single byte can hold. The processor can only hold a 1 byte value for each instruction per each address.

Therefore, the game will glitch or crash at level 256, because it wasn't programmed to have an ending and to just continue on. The game crashes, because the code isn't telling it to stop, and the memory has been filled.

There, you just learned something new. Smile

By the way, I wrote this in my own words. Wink

Why Pac-Man Crashes / Glitches on Level 256 LSTjSyDDiscord: SnB_BWH

Click HERE to earn free bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin, and dash!

Win Free Bitcoins every hour!

Bully@WiiPlaza

Bully@WiiPlaza

It could also start again from 0 because of the overflow xD
But it's obvious that it's an 8 bit limitation just like modern games have a limit of 32 bytes or even 64 bytes usually but that is not so easy to reach. Especially not 64 bit Razz

XxModZxX@WiiPlaza

XxModZxX@WiiPlaza
Mod Skid Programmer, Coder & Hacker

Honestly if a modern day company were to buy Pac-Man today they might be able to change this error, or glitch. Its not like the people that own it would sell it. But if they did it could be possible to change that value from FF to something greater (maybe)

SnB@BWH

SnB@BWH
Admin & Writer

@ModZ

Yeah, but don't you think 255 levels is more than enough? lol

@Bully

Yes, that's true. It would require a hack or separate program to reach the limit of 32 or 64 bits. It's definitely impossible to do just by playing the game. I found that once you reached round 2,147,483,647 on Zombies, it would reset to level 1. But once you get up to round 100, maybe not even that, it becomes impossible to kill them all. I once spent 3 hours playing a single round with another person, until I said fuck it. Like I said, it's impossible by just playing the game, unless you have hacks.

Bully@WiiPlaza

Bully@WiiPlaza

shitnbitch@BWH wrote:
@Bully

I found that once you reached round 2,147,483,647 on Zombies, it would reset to level 1. But once you get up to round 100, maybe not even that, it becomes impossible to kill them all. I once spent 3 hours playing a single round with another person, until I said fuck it. Like I said, it's impossible by just playing the game, unless you have hacks.
The only weapon that can still kill is the wonder weapon Zeus Cannon/Thundergun since it deals infinite damage. This is how to get to any high round on Zombies for example but of course it's impossible to hit the limit of 32-bit so you're back on round 1 lol Wink

SnB@BWH

SnB@BWH
Admin & Writer

I know for NES games, which were 8 bit, for scores that went up to say, 9,999,999, there would be several addresses for the numbers. One would hold X,XXX, X99, then X,XX9,9XX, tc., where X would be a place holder.

I think... the instruction responsible for this would be an add with carry (ADC), but I could be wrong. Of course with assembly or any programming language, there is easy, quick, simple, straightforward ways, and then there are the opposite ways to writing the same function. This was one of many ways.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum