BullyWiiHacks
Welcome dear guest! Very Happy

To start posting and being part of the BWH community, you simply need to register an account or log into an existing one.

If you do not wish to register at all, that's fine but there will be more advertisements. :/

You can probably see and download most content provided for regular members even without an account.

Your contributions will be greatly appreciated though, give it a shot and register today! thumbsup

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BullyWiiHacks
Welcome dear guest! Very Happy

To start posting and being part of the BWH community, you simply need to register an account or log into an existing one.

If you do not wish to register at all, that's fine but there will be more advertisements. :/

You can probably see and download most content provided for regular members even without an account.

Your contributions will be greatly appreciated though, give it a shot and register today! thumbsup
BullyWiiHacks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BullyWiiHacks

Gaming, Modding & Programming

Important reminders:

- Click *HERE* for advanced forum search or check out the text field below on the front page for Google before posting
- NO support via private message (use the forum)
- Write meaningful topic titles
Site Translation
Latest topics
» Dropped Out of College to Pursue Web Dev and Life Pursuits in General
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty4/7/2024, 2:34 pm by SnB@BWH

» Bully Made It Into a BIG Video 400K Views
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty4/7/2024, 6:58 am by Bully@WiiPlaza

» Wii Play Tanks
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty3/24/2024, 2:46 pm by helpmeout

» [Bypass Paywalls] (Global) @magnolia1234 - GitLab
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty3/18/2024, 3:55 am by Seth@WiiPlaza

» [Download] Mary Shelley's Frankenhole
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty3/16/2024, 8:29 am by Seth@WiiPlaza

» Completely Custom Modded Controllers (Undetectable)
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty3/5/2024, 1:55 pm by Shadow@BWH

» (Zombies) Drink perks code?
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty3/5/2024, 1:24 pm by Shadow@BWH

» Die Rückkehr zu STEAM und WARFACE
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty3/2/2024, 3:54 am by Seth@WiiPlaza

» First person hand model change?
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty2/28/2024, 4:53 am by Ad3lamac611

» {RELEASE} Field Raider Firefox v1.72 by Seth@WiiPlaza
How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty2/21/2024, 8:52 am by naxil

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Country Statistics
Free counters!

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM Empty How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM 1/22/2017, 11:56 am

SnB@BWH

SnB@BWH
Admin & Writer

I've never seen any tutorials for this, nor have I ever heard of anyone actually ever dumping an NES ROM's RAM. So, I figured I would make a tutorial to show you how it's done.
Smile

Programs you will need:

1. FCEUX - NES Emulator
2. HxD - Hex Editor

And of course some ROMs. (PM me)

Open up FCEUX and load your ROM. You can also drag and drop a ROM onto the window.

Start the game, then pause it. Make sure if you are going to be working with (porting / analysis) codes in $0000 - $0800 range that you start the game before the dumping process. Some values may not appear, including the bit (memory size) of your code. They will just appear as zeroes and there is lots of memory that just contain zeroes. So, it wouldn't help none. You need to search for unique values, which will make the search comparison when porting much easier by narrowing results.

If you are going to release the dump for others' usage, then make sure you do this. It's actually best to do this either way.

Once the game has started, go to Debug > Hex Editor. A minimalistic Hex editor will show. You will notice that under File there is an option to dump RAM and PPU (Pixel Processing Unit, sprite data and shit). This only dumps $0000 - $0800. So, how will you be able to port or analyze Genie Codes, which are in the $8000 - $FFFF range? I'll show you how. Wink

Click on the first bit ($0000) and drag down to the very bottom by moving your mouse up and down slightly below the window while still holding the button. Ctrl+A (Select All) doesn't work; I already tried. Ctrl+A actually brings up a dialog asking which address to go to. This program wasn't programmed in the best interest of the user.

Once you reach the bottom ($FFFF), press Ctrl+C (Copy to Clipboard). 

Now, it's time to open up HxD Hex Editor. Once you have it open, click on the New button located on the far left under File or under File itself. You can also use Ctrl+N.

Right click in the window and press Paste Insert (Ctrl+V (Paste)). 
You now have the RAM dump! Click on the Floppy Disk icon (Save (Ctrl+S)). Create a folder to save your RAM dumps to. Name it as [NES] GameName (REGION).bin

Example: [NES] Super Mario Bros 3 (U).bin

Where 
U = America
J = Japan
E = Europe

Now you know how to dump an NES ROM's RAM. Congratulations!  Smile

How to Dump an NES ROM's RAM LSTjSyDDiscord: SnB_BWH

Click HERE to earn free bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin, and dash!

Win Free Bitcoins every hour!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum